To qualify for Earn + Learn, an applicant must be a low-income resident of the City of Detroit, Highland Park or Hamtramck. The applicant also must meet at least one of these criteria:
A minority male 18-24 years
A formerly incarcerated adult
A chronically unemployed adult
In addition, to enroll in Earn + Learn, an applicant must meet all of these requirements:
- Be an American citizen or national; or lawfully admitted permanent resident alien, refugee, asylee, or parolee; or any other immigrant that is authorized by the Attorney General to work in the US
- Be registered with Selective Service (if the applicant is male)
- Be WIA (Workforce Investment Act) eligible (This isn’t required for food production participants and certain other programs)
- Pass a drug test
- Have sixth-grade math and reading levels (We will provide an assessment)
Earn + Learn is an excellent opportunity to better your life, but your success in the program depends on you. Can you say?
- I am willing to make changes to have the life I want.
- I am motivated by a clear structure, expectations, deadlines and having to report on my progress.
- Despite the challenges I’ve had in my past, I want to learn new skills and believe I can create a brighter future.
- I want to improve my financial situation over the next 1 – 3 years.
- I’d like someone to help me focus, challenge me, and hold me accountable to my commitments and goals.
- I realize that my success depends on my willingness to take action and persist through the challenges.